In this class we'll make a paste by hand using authentic ingredients and spices, then transform this into an aromatic green curry which can be made with chicken or vegetables. We'll demonstrate how to balance the sweet, salty spicy and sour flavours that Thai cuisine is famous for, and also how to steam perfect sticky rice to accompany the curry.
What you’ll take away:
- Making a curry paste
- Balancing Flavours in an aromatic curry
- Rice cooking
Serves: 2 people
Duration: This class lasts approx. 1.5 hours.
- 8 Thai green chillies
- 2 medium shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 stick lemongrass
- 1 tsp galangal paste (or 5g fresh ginger)
- 2 limes
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- A handful coriander leaves
- A handful Thai basil
- 1/2 aubergine
- Optional: red peppers, baby corn and green beans for a vegan curry, cut into bite sized chunks
- 3 chicken thighs, cut into bite size chunks
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp shrimp paste (or miso/black bean paste for a vegan curry)
- 2x 160ml tins coconut cream
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1.5 tbsp fish sauce (or veggie "fish sauce" for a vegan curry)
- 1 tsp palm sugar (or granulated/demerara)
- 100g sticky rice, soaked in cold water 3 hours before class
- Chopping board
- Wok/large saucepan
- Medium saucepan with steamer basket (or a sieve that can sit on top, as an alternative)
- Mini blender
- Pestle and mortar
- Wooden spoon
- Baking parchment
- Spoons for tasting
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.