Join textile artist Lucy Freeman for an introduction to this beloved craft. You'll learn how to use just four simple stitches to produce beautiful, botanical embroidery.
Stitch along with Lucy as she works on her Blue Fern Embroidery Kit, sewing a branch of the fern and a flower together. She will cover all the skills you need, as well as answering your questions plus sharing tips and inspiration for creating your own embroidery designs.
Lucy Freeman launched her brand exclusively at John Lewis earlier this year and now teaches many sessions across the UK. She even used to be a partner at John Lewis herself!
To find out more, follow her Instagram account @lucyfreeman_design.
- Level: Beginner. No other previous experience necessary.
You will need:
- 6” Blue Fern Embroidery Kit. Price: £26. CLICK HERE TO BUY.
- Kit includes: embroidery hoop, needle, pre-printed fabric, embroidery thread and instructions
Preparation before the session:
- Prepare the fabric within your hoop according to the instructions on the basics sheet provided in the kit.
- Read through and familiarise yourself with the basics sheet.
- Thread your needle with six strands of pink (threads are already cut to the correct length in the kit, so they don't need to be trimmed).
- Ensure you purchase any relevant products and materials in advance of the event.
- Ensure you have all your equipment, materials and assets ready to go as there is no preparation time in the workshop.
What you will learn and make in the session:
- The basics of preparing your hoop, threading the needle, and splitting embroidery threads.
- Lucy’s four contemporary embroidery stitches: Line, Fill, Dot and Dash stitch.
- You will embroider a branch of the fern and a flower together with Lucy, which will cover all the skills and techniques you need to then complete your embroidery after the session.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. One week before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.