Purées are the perfect way to introduce your baby to new flavours and textures, as well as provide nutrition. Starting your baby on solid food helps them to develop hand-eye coordination, teaching them how to move food around their mouths, as well as how to chew and swallow.
Weaning is an adventure, so it’s also important that you and your baby have lots of fun. Your baby will often look to follow your lead, which means eating at the same time as them and praising their efforts can help with their progression.
What you’ll learn:
- How to prepare purées
- How to store and portion purées
- How to introduce feeding solid food to your baby
Makes: 14 portions of vegetable purée and 4 portions of fruit purée
Duration: This class will last approximately 1.5 hours
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop
- 250g broccoli
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 small sweet potato
- ½ swede
- 2 large carrots
- 1 pear
- 1 apple
- 100g raspberries fresh or frozen
- 4 baby corn
- 4 green beans
- 120g natural yogurt
- Stick blender/food processor/liquidiser, for making purées - Our favourite food processor
- 2 medium saucepans, for cooking vegetables and fruit
- Steaming petal/sieve, for steaming vegetables
- Colander, for draining vegetables and fruit
- Masher, for mashing vegetables
- Chef’s knife
- Chopping board
- 3 ice cube trays for freezing purées - Our favourite ice cube tray
- Lidded containers for purées - Our favourite lidded containers
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Baby cutlery - Our favourite cutlery
- Baby cup - Our favourite baby cup
- Serving bowl for baby - Our favourite serving bowl
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.