CARBONARA & PASTA SAUCES COOKERY CLASS - £20
Learn how to make three easy but delicious pasta sauces – two for your fridge or freezer, and one to eat at the end of the class.
You’ll never be stuck for a quick, tasty and nutritious lunch or supper if your fridge or freezer is stocked with ready-prepared portions of pasta sauce.
In this class, you’ll learn how to make three different pasta sauces: classic, richly-flavoured tomato sauce, fragrant basil pesto and creamy carbonara. The tomato sauce and pesto are perfect for freezing, while indulgent carbonara is surprisingly easy to make, and will become a regular favourite.
What to expect:
- Learn how to be efficient and save time with meal prep
- Get advice on easy meal planning
- Learn how to make the most of simple, good quality ingredients
Serves: 2 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour
What you’ll need:
Shopping list (serves 2)
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop
- 50g fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 150g smoked pancetta or smoked streaky bacon (or 120g guanciale, if available)
- 90g Parmigiano Reggiano, Pecorino or other Italian hard cheese, plus extra to serve
- 150g spaghetti, or dried pasta of your choice
- 150g shelled pistachios (can be substituted for walnuts, almonds, pine nuts or pumpkin seeds)
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil
- 60ml olive oil
- Salt & black pepper, for seasoning
- Pinch caster sugar (optional)
- 1 medium saucepan, for the tomato sauce
- 1 frying pan, for the carbonara
- Chopping board
- Chef’s knife
- 1 large saucepan filled with water, for boiling pasta
- Pestle & mortar, for the pesto (or a small blender/food processor)
- Medium mixing bowl, for the pesto
- Microplane or fine grater
- Wooden spoons or spatulas, for stirring
- Fork, for beating egg
- Tongs or colander, for draining pasta
- Measuring jug
- Small bowl, for carbonara sauce
- Spoons, for mixing and tasting
- Storage container or freezer bags, to store the extra sauces
Prepare ahead by roasting the nuts or seeds and allowing them to cool. Preheat your oven to 180°C fan, gas mark 6. Spread the nuts/seeds on a baking tray, and roast in the oven until golden in the centre:
Pistachios or almonds: 8-10 minutes
Walnuts or pine nuts: 4-6 minutes
Pumpkin seeds: 4-6 minutes
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.