Learn how to make three easy but delicious pasta sauces – two for your fridge or freezer, and one to eat at the end of the class.
You’ll never be stuck for a quick, tasty and nutritious lunch or supper if your fridge or freezer is stocked with ready-prepared portions of pasta sauce.
In this class, you’ll learn how to make three different pasta sauces: classic, richly-flavoured tomato sauce, fragrant basil pesto and creamy carbonara. The tomato sauce and pesto are perfect for freezing, while indulgent carbonara is surprisingly easy to make, and will become a regular favourite.
What you'll learn:
- Learn how to be efficient and save time with meal prep
- Get advice on easy meal planning
- Learn how to make the most of simple, good quality ingredients
Serves: 2 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour 30 minutes
Prepare Ahead: Prepare ahead by roasting the nuts or seeds. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan, gas mark 6. Spread the nuts/seeds on a baking tray, and roast in the oven until evenly golden throughout:
- Pistachios or almonds: 8-10 minutes
- Walnuts or pine nuts: 4-6 minutes
- Pumpkin seeds: 4-6 minutes
Don't forget to weigh and measure all of your ingredients, and have your equipment to hand.
Shopping list (serves 2)
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop:
- 50g fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 150g smoked pancetta or 120g guanciale
- 90g Parmigiano Reggiano, Pecorino or other Italian hard cheese, plus extra to serve
- 150g spaghetti, or long dried pasta of your choice
- 150g shelled pistachios (can be substituted for walnuts, almonds, pine nuts or pumpkin seeds), lightly roasted in advance of the class
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil
- 30ml olive oil
- Salt & black pepper, for seasoning
- Pinch caster sugar (optional)
- 1 small saucepan, for the tomato sauce
- 1 large frying pan, for the carbonara
- 1 large saucepan filled with water, for boiling pasta
- Chef’s knife
- Chopping board
- Pestle & mortar, for the pesto (or a small blender or food processor)
- Microplane, zester or fine grater
- Wooden spoons or spatulas, for stirring
- Tongs or colander, for draining pasta
- Measuring jug
- Medium mixing bowl, for the pesto
- Small bowl, for carbonara sauce
- Fork, for beating eggs
- Storage container or freezer bags, to store the extra sauces
- Spoons, for tasting
- 2 serving plates
Wine pairing suggestion
- Montidori Sangiovese - A rich, full and juicy red, plenty of bright red fruit character and enticing gentle spice. This red has plenty of body and flavour to stand up to the rich tomato sauce. Alternatively a full bodied Italian red wine.
- La Monetta Gavi di Gavi - This is a citrus-charged, almond tinged, green-apple, zesty wine which complements both the carbonara and the pesto. Alternatively a dry sauvignon blanc.
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining an online experience: Our online experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your online experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note we may record this session for internal purposes.
Please note T&Cs apply.