We will demonstrate how to make fresh marshmallows and while they cool/set, we will prepare a hot chocolate mixture which is perfect for gifting. We will finish by demonstrating how to cut/serve the marshmallows and how to serve the perfect hot chocolate.
What you’ll take away:
- Marshmallow making/same technique as Italian meringue
- How to make your own blend of hot chocolate/different types of chocolate to use
- Wrapping/storing for Christmas gifts
Serves: Makes 20 portions of hot chocolate & 20 large marshmallows.
Duration: This session lasts approx. 1 hour.
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 6 sheets fine-leaf gelatine
- 2 medium egg whites
- 280g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or peppermint extract/orange blossom water)
- 240g icing sugar, plus 2 tbsp extra for dusting
- 125g cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp cornflour, divided into 2 x 2 tbsp
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 200g dark chocolate (you can use plain or peppermint)
- 240ml milk for serving of hot chocolate *optional
- Stand mixer with a whisk attachment (or a handheld electric whisk and a large bowl)
- 18cm square cake tin
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Small saucepan
- Sugar thermometer or temperature probe
- Rubber spatula
- Spoons for mixing
- Large knife
- Chopping board
- Baking parchment
- Cellophane bags & ribbon, boxes or jars for storing and gifting
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.