This beginner's workshop is perfect for learning the basics of Copperplate Calligraphy.
Learn the key skills and techniques needed to practice this timeless script from Manuscript's expert calligrapher, Alice Mazzilli.
Alice will take you through all the techniques from holding your pen correctly, loading your ink, practicing the basic strokes and letter formation.
Follow Alice on Instagram @alicemazzilli
By purchasing a ticket for the event you will be entered into a prize draw to win a Manuscript Calligraphy Compendium Set (RRP £24). This comprehensive kit contains everything you need to continue your calligraphy journey.
- Level: Beginner - no prior experience needed.
- PLEASE NOTE: This session will demonstrate and focus on RIGHT-HANDED Copperplate Calligraphy only.
You will need:
- Modern Calligraphy Set by Manuscript. Price: £11. CLICK HERE TO BUY.
- Paper (80gsm plain paper is recommended)
- Rubber (optional)
- Ruler (essential)
- Cup of water to clean your nib
- Paper towels/tissue to wipe your nib clean
Preparation before the session:
- We highly recommend preparing your nib in advance so you are ready to follow along with Alice when the session starts. Ensure the ink is flowing by practicing strokes. For a useful guide and instructions CLICK HERE TO VIEW.
- An 'Alphabet Guide' will be provided ahead of the session so you can print out in advance and bring along. You will receive a link to download the 'Alphabet Guide' in your Reminder Emails. The last page of the guide (page 6) is an essential part to creating the gridded paper that you will need during the session.
- Ensure you purchase any relevant products and materials in advance of the session.
- Ensure you have all your equipment, materials and assets ready to go as there is no preparation time in the session.
What you will learn and make in the session:
- You will learn the basic strokes of copperplate calligraphy and how to form letters correctly.
- You will not produce a finished item at the end. This is a technical session to show you the correct techniques and skills required to write in copperplate calligraphy.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. One week before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.