Learn how to make one of the ultimate Indian rice dishes at home: chicken or vegetable biryani. Master the marinade and discover the secret to blending fragrant spices for the perfect balance of flavours. You’ll even make a carrot raita and mango chutney to serve alongside. Our chefs will share lots of cookery advice and inspiration and they'll help you to perfect your dish.
(This class requires some preparation in advance - see below).
What you'll take away:
- Discover the secrets of seasoning and balancing spices for maximum flavour
- Learn how to cook rice perfectly
- Practise your knife skills
Serves: 2 people.
Duration: This class lasts approx. 1.5 hours.
- 2 chicken thigh fillets, diced (for chicken biryani)
- 1 tbsp milk
- 350g natural yogurt, divided into 100g and 250g (or coconut yogurt for a vegan biryani)
- 200g vegetables, cut into bite-sized pieces – we recommend cauliflower, aubergine or carrots (for a vegetarian or vegan biryani)
- 2 small carrots
- 2 onions & 2 shallots (can be substituted for 1 extra onion)
- 3 limes
- 3cm piece ginger
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 green chillies
- 1 mango
- Handful fresh coriander
- 200g basmati rice
- 2 tbsp ghee (or butter, sunflower or vegetable oil)
- 80g roasted cashews
- 80g sultanas or raisins
- 5 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp palm sugar (or demerara, granulated or caster)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds, divided into 2 x 1 tsp
- 1½ tsp coriander seeds, divided into 1tsp and ½ tsp
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp nigella seeds (optional)
- A large pinch of saffron
- A pinch of ground ginger (optional)
- Vegetable oil, salt and pepper
- Chopping board
- Small bowl, cup or measuring jug
- 3 small mixing bowls
- 2 wooden spoons or spatulas
- Microplane or fine grater
- Box grater
- Vegetable peeler
- Frying pan
- Medium saucepan
- Heavy-based casserole or saucepan with a tight-fitting lid that is suitable for both hob and oven use
- Spoons for mixing and tasting
Prepare ahead: In order for the session to run smoothly, we ask that you prepare the marinade for your biryani as per step 1 of the recipe HERE.
You will need to add the chicken (or vegetables if you're making a veggie biryani) to the marinade, then cover and refrigerate until needed. You can do this 24 hours in advance.
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.