Learn how to make a delicious and healthy masala dal to serve with perfect dosa pancakes.
Masala dal is the ideal winter warmer dish and whilst it is vegetarian, it can easily be made vegan too. In this class, you'll learn how to make dosa pancakes to serve alongside this tasty dish. Masala dal can also be served with rice, jacket potato, fish, bread, or even with a soft boiled egg for breakfast.
What you'll learn:
- How to temper spices
- How to build layers of flavour in a simple dish with minimal ingredients
- Tips for making perfect dosa pancakes
Serves: 2 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour 30 minutes
Prepare ahead instructions: For this course, you will need to soak your lentils in advance. Place them in a bowl and cover with the cold vegetable stock (or cold water as a substitute), cover and leave to soak at room temperature for 30 minutes before the class starts.
Please have all your other ingredients weighed out and ready along with the equipment you’ll need.
Shopping List (serves 2):
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop:
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 150g vine ripened tomatoes
- 25g fresh ginger, divided into 20g and 5g
- 1 green chilli
- 50g fresh spinach
- 20g coriander
- 100g red lentils
- 350ml liquid vegetable stock (can be substituted with water, we don't recommend using a stock cube)
- Sunflower or vegetable oil, for cooking
- 50g ghee (can be substituted with sunflower, vegetable oil or coconut oil, for a vegan dish)
- 50ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 60ml coconut cream
- 30g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp tamarind paste (or brown sauce)
Dosa ingredients - these can be measured out together:
- 60g gram flour (sometimes labelled chickpea flour)
- 60g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tbsp yellow mustard seeds
Ground spices - these can be measured out together:
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp palm sugar (or granulated sugar works fine)
- 200ml cold water
- Medium mixing bowl (for the dosa pancakes)
- Ladle or a measuring jug (for the pancake batter)
- Medium sized heavy based saucepan (for the dal)
- Wooden spoon x 2 (or something to stir with)
- Chopping board
- Chef's knife
- Small bowl (for the chutney)
- Medium sized frying pan (non stick preferable, for the pancakes and frying spices)
- Spatula, palette knife or fish slices (or something to lift the pancakes with)
- Serving plates
- Spoons (for tasting)
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.