Using the new Derwent Pastel Shades Paint Pan Set, on which her own work takes pride of place, artist and Derwent Ambassador Abby Nurre demonstrate the foundation skills and techniques in watercolour.
Abby will guide you through a simple tulip design from (sketched or traced from a reference image), covering the blending and layering techniques in beautiful pastel shades.
Abby is a professional artist and illustrator, having built a successful business following her training at the University of Cincinnati. To find out more, follow her Instagram account @abbynurrewatercolor.
Abby and the Derwent team will also be answering any questions you may have, live throughout the session.
Included in the ticket price is a recording of the session, which you will receive in your post event email.
- Level: Adult Beginners. No other previous art experience necessary.
To follow along, you will need:
- New Derwent Pastel Shades Paint Pan Set (including mini waterbrush). Price: £25. CLICK HERE TO BUY.
- Any A4 Watercolour Paper (at least 300gsm)
- Masking tape
- Any pencil with eraser
- Cup of water (ensure you pre-fill your waterbrushes too)
- Paper towels
Preparation before the session:
- A 'Tulip' reference image will be provided ahead of the session. Use the reference image to sketch or trace the outline of the tulip in advance of the session. You will receive a link to download the image in your Reminder Emails.
- Ensure you purchase any relevant products and materials in advance of the event.
- Ensure you have all your equipment, materials and assets ready to go as there is no preparation time in the workshop.
What you will learn and make in the session:
- Basic blending and layering of watercolour techniques.
- Features and benefits of Derwent Pastel Shades Paint Pan Set.
- You will finish the session having painted a tulip. If you do not finish, you will have the skills and techniques to complete the project after the session.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. One week before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.