HAND ROLLED PASTA WITH SAUSAGE & FENNEL RAGU COOKERY CLASS - £20
Good food is about quality ingredients, treated with care and consideration. And few dishes highlight this as clearly as a wonderful pasta dish.
In this class, you’ll learn how to make a simple fresh pasta dough using semolina, flour and water. We'll then shape it, using basic equipment you already have at home (there’s no need for a pasta machine). We'll talk about how different shapes of pasta are intended for different kinds of sauces, and then put this knowledge to good use, creating a classic dish using humble ingredients.
What to expect:
- Learn how to make and shape a simple, versatile fresh pasta dough.
- Discover where the different types of pasta come from in Italy, and how to get the best from each variety.
- Make a delicious sauce with the secret ingredient that’s been in your kitchen all along!
Serves: 2 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour
What you’ll need:
Shopping list (serves 2)
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables and chopping the broccoli
- Small head broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces including the stalks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 2 pork sausages (or vegetarian sausages for a meat free option)
- 3-4 heaped tbsp crème fraîche
- 30g Parmigiano reggiano (or vegetarian hard cheese)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & black pepper, for seasoning
- 1-2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 100ml dry white wine (can be substituted with water)
- Weigh together into a medium bowl:
- 100g ‘00’ flour (or plain white/strong white flour)
- 100g semolina
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 100ml tepid water
- Medium mixing bowl, for pasta dough
- Butter knife
- Large pan filled with water for boiling pasta
- Large frying pan or saucepan, to make the sauce
- Slotted spoon or colander, to drain pasta
- Pestle & mortar (optional, for crushing fennel seeds & garlic)
- Microplane, zester or fine grater
- Measuring cup or jug
- Wooden spoon or spatula, for stirring
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.