In this friendly, fun and interactive class one of the chefs from Waitrose Cookery School will take you through how to make sweet and fluffy hot cross buns with a hint of citrus and spice. Whilst the buns are proving, you’ll be taught how to make a batch of decadent and squidgy creme egg brownies - the perfect Easter treat.
What you'll learn
- Techniques for making the perfect spiced enriched dough
- How to shape and finish sweet and sticky hot cross buns
- How to make gooey brownies
Makes: 6 buns and 20 brownies
Duration: This class will last approximately 2 hours
Prepare ahead: Please make your dough at least 60 minutes in advance. Alternatively, you can make it earlier in the day and then place it in the fridge, bringing it back out of the fridge at least 60 minutes before the workshop starts. We will email video instructions two days prior to the class.
Please have all your other ingredients weighed out and ready along with the equipment you’ll need.
- 205g unsalted butter split into 30g and 175g
- 5 medium eggs
- ½ tsp milk
- 5g dried active yeast
- 275g strong white flour, split into 225g and 50g
- 75g self raising flour or plain flour with 1 tsp of baking powder added to it
- Small bowl of dusting flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tbsp mixed spice
- 120g caster sugar split into 30g, 15g and 75g
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 65g mixed dried fruits, such as currants, sultanas, mixed peel
- 250g dark chocolate (75%)
- 10 Cadbury creme eggs (full size)
- Digital weighing scales
- Mixing bowl x 2
- Measuring jug
- Cling film or a clean tea towel to cover the dough
- Baking parchment
- Baking tray x 2
- Piping bag
- Small saucepan
- Dough scraper
- Pastry brush
- 2 small bowls
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Tasting spoons
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.