Join Lucy Davidson, weaver, craft book author and owner of craft blog @peasandneedles as shares her years of crafting experience with you.
In this class you will learn how to create a beautiful punch needle hoop art for your wall. Lucy will cover how to use the needle and the basics of punch needle plus experimenting with different colours and stitches to create texture.
After you have completed this class you will be more confident to move on to bigger punch needle projects.
What you will need for the workshop:
- Punch needle size 10
- Chunky wool
- Monks cloth
- 12cm embroidery hoop
- Wool or Tapestry needle (any needle with a large eye)
Lucy recommends a chunky yarn in your choice of rainbow colours. Your rainbow may vary to the one in the imagery depending on which yarn you choose to use.
OPTIONAL - additional equipment/materials required:
You will not need to have any experience with punch needle. Lucy will cover everything you need to know to complete your punch needle embroidery hoop.
Preparation before the workshop:
- PLEASE NOTE: A rainbow template will be provided ahead of the workshop so you can print out in advance of the session and bring along. Alternatively, if you do not have a printer you can draw the rainbow design freehand onto the fabric.
- Please have the template ready, to the size which fits in your hoop. Lucy will be using a 12cm hoop but you are able to use any size.
- You will receive a link to download the rainbow template in your Reminder Emails in advance of the workshop. If you do not receive this by 2pm, Friday 26 February, please email email@example.com
- IMPORTANT: When booking your ticket, please check that your email address has been inputted correctly into Eventbrite, otherwise you will not receive the Reminder Emails.
- Ensure you purchase any relevant products and materials in advance of the event.
- Ensure you have all your equipment, materials and assets ready to go as there is no preparation time in the workshop.
What you will learn in the workshop:
- How to thread the punch needle and stretch the fabric so it is tight enough to work with.
- How to transfer the image onto the fabric.
- How to create the stitches with the punch needle, covering the basic stitch to create the loops.
What you will make in the workshop:
- Once you have got to grips with the needle, you will be able to complete the rainbow design and finish off each colour.
- You will be able to complete a punch needle hoop embroidery in the session.
- If you do not finish, you should have the skills to continue making the project following the session.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Before your Virtual Experience we’ll send you full details on how to join, but if you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this workshop might be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Please see T&Cs for more information.