In this My John Lewis Festival of Sewing session join Jenni Smith, author of Quilting with Liberty Fabrics, as she demonstrates how to successfully piece together a Courthouse Steps patchwork block. She’ll also show you how to quilt it and stitch it into either a pretty trivet or potholder.
Jenni will share her top tips for sewing with Liberty Tana Lawn fabric, as well as providing insights into her new book.
Jenni has years of experience in running quilting courses and will inspire you to get creative while sharing her in-depth knowledge of both Liberty fabrics and quilting.
You can find Jenni on Instagram: @jennismithsews.
- Level: This project can be completed by hand or on a sewing machine and is suitable for beginners to patchwork. You will, however, need to have basic sewing skills to take part.
You will need:
- Thread (Jenni recommends a neutral colour such as a mid-grey)
- Sewing Needle (If you’re sewing on a machine, you will need a size 70 or 80 needle)
- 1 x 8-inch square of quilt wadding (or fusible fleece)
- 1 x 8-inch square of backing fabric (suggested product option)
- Pre-cut fabric and/or Liberty Fabric
- Iron and Ironing board/mat (to press your patchwork)
Please note: For this quilt block, you’ll want to use fabrics which contrast in tone and go from light to dark, although other colour combinations can work well too. If you purchase Fat Quarters of each colour, you can repeat the blocks to make a cushion or small quilt.
Preparation before the session:
- Please ensure you cut out the correct sized blocks prior to the workshop using the information below. You can use any colours you like; the colours below refer to Jenni's example as shown in the event imagery:
For one block:
- Centre: Cut (x1) 2-inch x 2-inch square (traditionally red in colour)
- Fabric A: Cut (x2) 2-inch x 1.25-inch strips (pale blue)
- Fabric B: Cut (x2) 3.5-inch x 1.25-inch strips (white)
- Fabric C: Cut (x2) 3.5-inch x 1.25-inch strips (light blue)
- Fabric D: Cut (x2) 5-inch x 1.25-inch strips (light grey)
- Fabric E: Cut (x2) 5-inch x 1.25-inch strips (mid blue)
- Fabric F: Cut (x2) 6.5-inch x 1.25-inch strips (mid grey)
- Fabric G: Cut (x2) 6.5-inch x 1.25-inch strips (dark blue)
- Fabric H: Cut (x2) 8-inch x 1.25-inch strips (dark grey)
CLICK HERE to view a pattern to help with the cutting instructions.
- Ensure you purchase any relevant products and materials in advance of the session.
- Ensure you have all your equipment, materials and assets ready to go as there will be no prep time during the session.
What you’ll learn and make in the session:
- How to successfully piece together a Courthouse Steps patchwork block, quilt it and stitch it.
- Skills and techniques to complete simple quilting projects independently.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. One week before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.