One of our talented chefs will take you through exactly how to make this complex and creamy curry. You’ll also be making delicious sushi sticky rice, learning a simple pickled cucumber recipe and breading chicken or aubergine. These recipes are bound to become household favourites.
What you’ll learn:
- The art of seasoning.
- How to pickle vegetables.
- How to make sticky rice.
Serves: 2 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.
Prepare ahead instructions: Please have all your ingredients weighed out and ready along with the equipment you’ll need.
Shopping list (serves 2)
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop.
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 apple
- ⅓ cucumber
- 2 chicken breasts
- For a vegetarian option: 1 Aubergine or 200g sweet potato
- 25g butter
- 6 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil, divided into 2 tbsp and 4 tbsp
- 90g plain flour, divided into 30g and 60g
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp Japanese rice vinegar or Chinese or white wine vinegar
- 175g sushi rice
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
Spices (can be weighed together)
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 medium saucepans, 1 with a tight fitting lid
- 1 medium/large frying pan
- Measuring jug
- Tongs or fish slice for turning the chicken
- Wooden spoon
- 1 small bowl for the cucumber
- 3 medium mixing bowls for the flour, egg and panko
- Chefs knife
- 2 chopping boards for cutting vegetables and preparing chicken
- Cling film or freezer bag
- Rolling pin or meat tenderizer
- Baking tray to rest the chicken on
- Kitchen roll
- Vegetable peeler
- Box grater
- Spoons for mixing and tasting
- Serving plates
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining an online experience: Our online experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your online experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note we may record this session for internal purposes.
Please note T&Cs apply.