During this cookery class, you'll learn how to make and flavour a delicious soda bread. We'll show you how to use a knife safely and how to shape your loaf. We will also discuss alternative flavourings for your soda bread.
Parental supervision may be required for:
- Rubbing butter into flour
- Using a small knife to core and chop apples
- Mixing dough together
- Scoring dough with a small knife
- Using the oven
- Testing bread to check it is cooked
What you’ll learn:
- Safe, basic knife skills
- How to use the 'rubbing in' method
- How to shape bread
Serves: 8 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour
Prepare ahead instructions: Don’t forget to have your ingredients weighed out ready to cook-along with us, all preparation will be done as part of the course.
Shopping list (serves 8)
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop
- 2 eating apples (or pears, as an alternative)
- Small handful lemon thyme or thyme
- 25g firm, slightly salted butter
- 125g Cheshire cheese or Cheddar or Wensleydale
- 284ml buttermilk or 254ml milk mixed with 30g natural yogurt
Soda bread base - these can be weighed out together
- 325g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1 mixing bowl for flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 chopping board
- 1 knife
- 1 round bladed knife
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.