During this cookery class, you'll learn how to make and flavour a delicious soda bread. We'll show you how to use a knife safely and how to shape your loaf. We will also discuss alternative flavourings for your soda bread.
Parental supervision may be required for:
- Rubbing butter into flour
- Using a small knife to core and chop apples
- Mixing dough together
- Scoring dough with a small knife
- Using the oven
- Testing bread to check it is cooked
What you’ll learn:
- Safe, basic knife skills
- How to use the 'rubbing in' method
- How to shape bread
Serves: 8 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour
Prepare ahead instructions: Don’t forget to have your ingredients weighed out ready to cook-along with us, all preparation will be done as part of the course.
Shopping list (serves 8)
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop
- 2 eating apples (or pears, as an alternative)
- Small handful lemon thyme or thyme
- 25g firm, slightly salted butter
- 125g Cheshire cheese or Cheddar or Wensleydale
- 284ml buttermilk or 254ml milk mixed with 30g natural yogurt
Soda bread base - these can be weighed out together
- 325g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1 mixing bowl for flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 chopping board
- 1 knife
- 1 round bladed knife
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
- Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
- Please note we may record this session for internal purposes.
- Please note terms and conditions apply.