Make a delicious and impressive homemade classic chicken and mushroom pie to share with your family using leftover cooked roast chicken. You will be shown how to work with filo pastry and make a fun pastry lid for your pie and a step by step guide on how to make a perfect chicken filling. The class will include knife skills and hob work so perfect for a budding chef. For this recipe you'll need to have some leftover roast chicken or cooked chicken ready to use and be transformed into a truly delicious dish.
What you'll take away:
- Knife skills and pan work
- Step by step class on how to make your classic sauce and filling
- Using filo pastry, how to cut, shape and glaze it
Serves: Makes 1 large pie, serves 4
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour
- 1 medium leek
- 250g button, chestnut or cup mushrooms
- 3 sprigs tarragon or 1 tsp dried tarragon
- Optional to serve, green beans, broccoli or spinach
- 400g cold roast chicken or ham or 400g butternut squash and peas
- 55g butter split into 25g (chilled) and 30g (melted)
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 15 ml olive oil
- 25g plain flour
- 300ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Chopping board
- Small knife
- Slotted spoon or sieve
- Large saucepan
- Medium saucepan
- Medium bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Ovenproof dish roughly 20 x 30cm
- Pastry brush
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.