In this friendly, fun and interactive class one of the chefs from Waitrose Cookery School will take you through how to create tasty chicken shawarma with flatbreads.
You will be taught basic knife skills and be shown how to prepare the recipe and ingredients step by step. We will start the class by marinating the meat, followed by making fresh flatbreads and then doing some knife skills for a crunchy salad.
The workshop will involve grilling, pan work and using knives. We will discuss how to plate the dish and use any leftover ingredients, including recipes ideas. This recipe will feed four people, so budding young chefs will be able to make an ideal meal for all the family.
Parental supervision may be required for:
- Using a zester
- Mixing dough
- Using a small knife to slice and chop
- Handling raw chicken
- Using a rolling pin
- Using a grill
- Testing whether the chicken is cooked
- Using a frying pan on the hob
What you'll learn:
- How to master safe, basic knife skills
- Safe pan methods
- How to roll out dough and shaping
Serves: 4 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes
Prepare ahead instructions: Don’t forget to have your ingredients weighed out ready to cook-along with us
Shopping list (serves 4)
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop
- 2 lemons
- ¼ red cabbage
- ½ small red onion
- 5 radishes
- 10g fresh mint
- 6 chicken thighs fillets, skinless and boneless
- 150g Greek style yogurt, plus 30g for marinade
- 150g pot of sour cream for serving (optional)
- 70g grated cheese for serving (optional)
- 2 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Shawarma Spice Blend
- 1 tsp Nigella seeds or black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Flatbread dough - this can be weighed out together
- 200g self-raising white flour, plus extra for rolling
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large mixing bowls; one for chicken, one for dough and one for salad
- 1 roasting or baking tray lined with tin foil
- 1 pair of tongs or a fork (for moving and turning the chicken)
- 3 large spoons for mixing
- Fine grater for zesting (or zester)
- Juicer for lemon (optional)
- 2 chopping boards; for cutting cooked meat on and chopping salad items and vegetables on
- Tin foil & cling film
- Small sharp knives for dough, vegetables, salad items and meat
- Non-stick frying pan
- Measuring spoons for spices
- Slotted spatula or tongs for turning the flatbreads
- Rolling pin
- Serving plates for bread and chicken
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
- Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
- You'll need to be a My John Lewis or my Waitrose member to book a ticket to this event. If you aren't a member, it's easy to join.
- Please note we may record this session for internal purposes.
- Please note terms and conditions apply.