Join Elisalex, Head of Design and Founder of By Hand London sewing patterns as she teaches you how to make her exclusive 'Tamzin' Dress and break down the more challenging elements of the pattern.
This project will be completed across three separate sessions.
Elisalex has 18 years of experience in dressmaking and regularly teaches sewing classes. Find her on Instagram at @Elisalex and @byhandlondon.
Your £10 ticket includes all three sessions - see dates below:
SESSION 1: Princess Seams (Wednesday 16 June, 6pm - 7pm)
In the first session you will focus on sewing curved princess seams and assembling the bodice.
SESSION 2: Tucks & Gathers (Wednesday 23 June, 6pm - 7pm)
In the second session you will be sewing the tucks, taking the stress out of sewing gathers and getting your skirts and sleeves ready to join to the bodice.
SESSION 3: Setting in Sleeves (Wednesday 30 June, 6pm - 7pm)
In the third and final session, you will be setting the sleeves in. Elisalex will also talk you through and demonstrate finishing touches plus different ways to hem.
- In between each session there will be some 'homework' set so that you are caught up and sewing at the same pace during the classes. This information will be included in a Post Event email sent after each session and Reminder Emails which you will receive 2 days and 2 hours before each session, so you are ready and prepared.
- Level: Intermediate/Confident Beginner. Participants will have a good understanding of how to operate a sewing machine and will already have made simple garments such as tops, skirts and simple dresses.
You will need:
- By Hand London Tamzin Dress Sewing Pattern. £16.50 per metre. CLICK HERE TO BUY. Please order in your size.
- Sewing Machine - no special features needed
- General sewing supplies: Tape Measure, Matching Thread, Fabric Scissors, an Iron, a Loop Turner, an Overlocker (optional)
PLEASE NOTE: The 'Tamzin' Dress Sewing Pattern will work beautifully in a multitude of light - medium weight woven fabrics. We suggest linen, viscose rayon/tencel, soft or floaty cottons, double gauze and drapey silks.
Please see the information in the pattern booklet for fabric requirements by size, and be aware that directional prints may need more metreage.
Preparation before SESSION 1:
- Pre-wash your fabric.
- Trace or cut out your pattern pieces in your size.
- Do any alterations to the paper pattern in order to improve the fit for your body
- Read through the instructions and cut all your fabric out.
- Ensure you purchase any relevant products and materials in advance of the session.
- Ensure you have all your equipment, materials and assets ready to go as there is no preparation time in the session.
What you will learn and make after all three sessions:
- Elisalex will teach three stages of the 'Tamzin' dress across separate sessions: Princess Seams, Tucks & Gathers and Setting in Sleeves.
- You will have a completed 'Tamzin' Dress at the end of the third session, depending on how quick you sew. If you do not finish, you will have the skills and techniques to complete the project after.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. One week before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.