Make and bake sticky maple buns flavoured with cinnamon and gingerbread loaves for the perfect festive teatime treat. While the buns prove, we'll make classic gingerbread loaves which are great for gifting but can also be frozen to serve during the festive season.
- Learn how to make an enriched dough
- Learn how to roll, fill and shape dough
- How to make classic gingerbread
- Decorating a loaf cake
Makes: 12 maple pecan buns and 2 gingerbread loaves
Duration: This class lasts approximately 2 hours
Prepare ahead: For this class, you'll need to make your bun dough in advance, following steps 1 and 2 of the recipe HERE.
This is easiest in a stand mixer with a dough hook, but can also be done by hand. If the mixture feels sticky, continue to knead until all butter has been incorporated, and then set aside. The dough can be made the day before the class and placed immediately in the fridge, or made on the morning of the class and left to prove at room temperature until doubled in size, before placing in the fridge. It must be made at least 90 minutes before the class starts to allow adequate proving time.
Please also weigh and measure all of your ingredients and have your equipment to hand.
Shopping List (12 maple pecan buns and 2 gingerbread loaves):
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop:
- 1 orange (optional, for decoration)
- 575ml whole milk, divided (see recipes)
- 200ml double cream
- 450g room temperature unsalted butter, divided (see recipes)
- 100g pecans
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 300g self-raising flour
- 50g light brown soft sugar
- 370g dark brown soft sugar, divided (see recipes)
- 100g icing sugar (optional, for decoration)
- 150ml maple syrup, divided (see recipe)
- 255g golden syrup
- 85g black treacle
- 7g active dried yeast
- 2 tsp fine salt, divided (see recipe)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbsp plus 3 tsp ground cinnamon, divided (see recipes)
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Whole nutmeg
- Sea salt
- 90g crystallised stem ginger (divided, see recipe)
- 3 eggs
- Large saucepan
- Small saucepan
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- 2 x 900g loaf tins
- 25cm x 35cm baking tray
- Chopping board
- 2 small mixing bowls
- Large mixing bowl
- Stand mixer with hook attachment (optional, dough can also be made by hand)
- Palette knife
- Baking parchment
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.