A sweet and seasonal dessert to make for Mother's Day.
You will make a simple sweet pastry and rest it in the fridge before moving onto preparing a seasonal fruit filling of your choice. Once the galette has been assembled, it can be baked straight away or refrigerated/frozen ready for Mother's Day. You'll finish by making a classic crème anglaise to serve alongside.
What you'll learn:
- How to make pastry by hand
- How to work with seasonal fruits
- Rolling and baking best practices
Makes: 2 small or 1 large galette, and serves 8 people.
Duration: This class will last approximately 1.5 hours.
What you’ll need:
Fruit & Veg:
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop
- 1/2 lemon (we need the juice)
- 450g seasonal fruit (we recommend blackberries, apples, pears, or rhubarb)
- 125ml whole milk
- 125ml double cream
- 110g cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 eggs, 3 separated (we're using the yolks) and 1 kept whole
- 1 vanilla pod, or 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (we're using half for the fruit filling and half for the crème anglaise)
- 45g caster sugar
Weigh together into a medium bowl:
- 75g ground almonds
- 150g plain flour (plus some extra for dusting)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 30g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
Weigh together into a small bowl:
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 70g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
Iced water- we'll need about 2 tbsp
- Medium bowl x 3 (1 for the pastry, 1 for the fruit, 1 for crème anglaise)
- Butter knife or pastry scraper (for mixing the pastry)
- Measuring spoons
- Jug or cup (for iced water)
- Baking parchment (for storing and rolling pastry)
- Large baking tray
- Spoon or spatula (to mix fruit)
- Chef's knife
- Vegetable peeler (if using apples or pears)
- Chopping board
- Rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- Balloon whisk
- Spatula or wooden spoon (to stir the crème anglaise)
- Small saucepan (for crème anglaise)
- Metal spoon
- Container (to store crème anglaise)
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.