Discover what 300 years of expertise tastes like and join Mount Gay Rum’s Global Brand Ambassador, Miguel Smith, for an evening of rum cocktails.
After learning about the rich Bajan heritage of Mount Gay, you will taste two of the distilleries signature rums: Black Barrel: Double Cask Blend and XO: Triple Cask Blend. Then Miguel will teach you how to make two classic rum cocktails using the blends: The Black Barrel Daiquiri and the XO Honey Old Fashioned.
Miguel Smith was born and raised in Barbados - the birthplace of rum. He joined the distillery back in 2012 and is extremely passionate about his country’s past. The history of Barbados blends with the history of rum, especially as Mount Gay is the oldest running rum distillery in the world. “My mission is to tell a story based on concrete facts: the history of my island, Barbados, and that of my rum, Mount Gay.”
What you’ll need:
- A bottle of Mount Gay Black Barrel Rum: Double Cask Blend
- A bottle of Mount Gay XO Rum: Triple Cask Blend
- Sugar Syrup (you can make this ahead of time by mixing sugar and hot water in a 2:1 ratio (sugar: hot water). Stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved and leave to cool
- Angostura Bitter
- Glassware (per person): 2 tasting glasses, A martini glass, A rocks glass
- Jigger to measure (or an egg cup/tablespoon)
- Citrus Squeezer
- Cocktail shaker and strainer
- Bar Spoon/ Teaspoon
- Chopping Board
Black Barrel Daiquiri:
50ml Mount Gay Black Barrel Rum
25ml Fresh Lime Juice
25ml Sugar Syrup
XO Honey Old Fashioned:
45ml Mount Gay XO rum
1 Teaspoon Honey
2 dashes Angostura bitters
Burnt orange peel, to garnish
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
You'll need to be a my John Lewis member to book a ticket to this event. If you aren't a member, it's easy to join. Simply click here to get started.
Please note we may record this session for internal purposes only.