In this course you’ll learn the secrets to making a light and crumbly shortcrust pastry. You’ll caramelise onions, learn how to roll and shape pastry without the need for tins and create a scrumptious tomato and onion galette.
What you'll learn:
- Basic knife skills
- The art of pastry making
- How to caramelise onions
Makes/Serves: 4 people/1 large galette
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour 30 minutes
Prepare ahead instructions - Please measure 75ml of water into a measuring jug and place it in the fridge. Don’t forget to have your ingredients weighed out ready to cook-along with us, all preparation will be done as part of the class.
Shopping list (serves 4)
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop
- 3 large onions
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 320g cherry vine tomatoes - we recommend mixed baby tomatoes
- 110g unsalted butter (chilled)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar divided into ½ and ½ tsp
- 50g pitted black olives
- 225g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp fine sea salt plus a pinch
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 medium egg
75ml iced water
- Wide based large saucepan or saute pan
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Chopping board
- Chefs knife
- Large plate to cool onions on
- Large bowl for the flour
- Jug for iced water
- Measuring spoons
- Table knife or small palette knife
- Cling film
- Rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- Small bowl for egg
- Large flat baking sheet
- Baking parchment
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
- Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
- Please note we may record this session for internal purposes.
- Please note terms and conditions apply.
Pastry Series Cookery Classes:
- PASTRY SERIES PART 1: TOMATO & CARAMELISED ONION GALETTE COOKERY CLASS £24
- PASTRY SERIES PART 2: CRUNCHY YUZU CHOUX BUNS COOKERY CLASS £29
- PASTRY SERIES PART 3: FRANGIPANE & SEASONAL FRUIT TART COOKERY CLASS £29