In this class you’ll learn the tips and tricks to making successful choux pastry. You’ll also make a yuzu curd for your scrumptious cream filling. To finish, you’ll top your choux buns with crunchy streusel. During the session, you’ll learn simple piping skills and make around 24 choux buns.
What you'll learn:
- How to make choux pastry
- How to make a curd
- How to pipe choux buns
Makes: 24 buns
Duration: This class will last approximately 2 hours
Prepare ahead instructions - Don’t forget to have your ingredients weighed out ready to cook-along with us, all preparation will be done as part of the class.
Shopping list (makes 24)
- Substitution if yuzu juice is unavailable - 60ml fresh lime juice
- 130g unsalted butter divided into 65g and 65g at room temperature
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 225ml double cream
- ½ leaf gelatine
- 110g caster sugar divided into 95g and 15g
- 60ml yuzu juice
- ½ tsp orange blossom water (only if using lime juice)
- 50g demerara sugar
- 150g plain flour divided into 50g and 100g
- ¼ tsp table salt
- 5 medium eggs
- Medium bowl for the streusel topping
- Large bowl for the choux
- Medium bowl to whisk cream
- Medium heat proof bowl for the yuzu curd, preferably metal or glass
- Small bowl to separate the egg
- Chopping board
- Small knife
- Rolling pin
- 3 spoons or spatulas to stir and mix
- Baking parchment
- 2 baking sheets
- Medium pan which a bowl will fit over
- Jug or small bowl to soften gelatine
- Balloon whisk
- Small round pastry cutter approx 48mm
- Cling film
- 2 piping bags
- Spoons to taste and mix
- Wire rack
- Serving plate
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
- Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
- You'll need to be a My John Lewis or my Waitrose member to book a ticket to this event. If you aren't a member, it's easy to join.
- Please note we may record this session for internal purposes.
- Please note terms and conditions apply.
Pastry Series Cookery Classes:
- PASTRY SERIES PART 1: TOMATO & CARAMELISED ONION GALETTE COOKERY CLASS £24
- PASTRY SERIES PART 2: CRUNCHY YUZU CHOUX BUNS COOKERY CLASS £29
- PASTRY SERIES PART 3: FRANGIPANE & SEASONAL FRUIT TART COOKERY CLASS £29