In this My John Lewis Festival of Sewing session, author and former Great British Sewing Bee contestant Jenniffer Taylor will lead a one hour pocket masterclass.
Jenniffer will demonstrate how to construct a series of different pocket styles, including patch pockets (both curved and square bottomed), in-seam pockets and yoked pockets.
These are all featured in her new book Your Skirt, Your Way - the essential guide to drafting, designing and creating your own unique, made-to-measure skirts.
- Level: Suitable for all levels - beginner, intermediate and advanced sewists.
You will need:
- Sewing machine
- Approximately 1 metre of scrap fabric for sampling (plain cotton or calico would be suitable)
- Scissors (both paper and fabric)
- Drafting Paper
- Tape measure
- Marking tools (either chalk or water erasable pen, whichever you prefer)
- Ironing board or mat
Preparation before the session:
- We highly recommend that you pre-cut your fabric into 25cm x 25cm squares, ready for creating the different pockets.
- Ensure you purchase any relevant products and materials in advance of the session.
- Ensure you have all your equipment, materials and assets ready to go as there will be no prep time during the session and Jenniffer encourages customers to craft along.
What you’ll learn and make in the session:
- How to construct a series of different pockets.
- How to add pockets to your garments and other sewing projects.
- Handy hints and tips to achieve perfect pockets every time.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. One week before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.