In this course, you’ll learn each step of making a pizza to rival those of Napoli. You’ll receive a video tutorial on how to prepare and prove your dough ready for the class. During the session we’ll make a classic tomato sauce, before shaping and finishing your pizza base with your choice of toppings. To finish, a glass of prosecco is the perfect way to toast a well-earned Italian night in.
What you’ll learn:
- How to make a classic and versatile dough
- How to shape your pizza base like a pizzaiolo
- How to get the most from your toppings
Makes: 2 large pizzas
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour
Prepare ahead instructions: Please make your dough at least 60 minutes in advance of the class by following the instructions in steps 1-3 of the recipe. We will send a video of instructions 2 days and again 2 hours before your class. Alternatively, you can make it up to 4 hours in advance and place it in the fridge once risen. Bring the dough back out of the fridge at least 60 minutes before the course starts.
Shopping list (makes 2 large pizzas)
Ingredients for the make ahead pizza dough:
- 7g dried active yeast
- 500g strong white bread flour
- ½ tbsp fine sea salt
- ½ tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for the pizza cook along:
Fruit & Veg
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 large sprigs of fresh basil (optional, we recommend for a margherita)
- 125g grated mozzarella
- 150g fresh mozzarella (optional, perfect for a margherita pizza)
- A large handful of semolina, for dusting (or some extra bread flour)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Any toppings of your choice (why not try Anchovy Fillets, Kalamata Tapenade or ‘Nduja Paste for something zingy, or dollops of Artichoke Puree, Porcini Paste or Torta di Gorgonzola for something rich!)
Any prosecco of your choice (we’d recommend Valdo Oro Puro Prosecco)
Equipment for the make ahead pizza dough:
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl or 2 lidded containers
- Digital scales
- Dough scraper
- Spoons for mixing
Equipment for the pizza cook along:
- Wide saucepan or frying pan
- 2 baking trays approximately 30 x 30cms (rectangle baking trays will work, you will simply have less of a circular shape pizza)
- Chopping board
- Pizza cutter (optional)
- Wooden spoon
- Rolling pin (optional)
- 2 serving plates
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
- Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
- Please note we may record this session for internal purposes.
- Please note terms and conditions apply.