Learn how to cook the perfect steak and serve it with delicious roasted mushrooms and peppercorn sauce, followed by indulgent roast peaches. Our wine expert will also be on hand to advise on wine pairings.
You will start the class by making bone marrow butter to add to the steak before cooking with the Portobello mushrooms. You'll then move onto making the peppercorn sauce from scratch, and preparing a deliciously sweet dessert of roast peaches topped with crunchy, almond-scented amaretti crumble, to enjoy later. You'll finish by cooking a ribeye steak exactly to your liking and get handy tips on resting and slicing.
Our wine expert will be on hand to offer wine pairings to match your foods, and do some wine tasting with what you have at home. Wine tasting products - main course with Rustenberg John X Merriman Stellenbosch and for the dessert No.1 Sauternes, Château Suduiraut Bordeaux.
What you'll learn:
- The basics of cooking steak
- How to make a classic steak sauce
- Tips on resting and slicing
- A simple dessert
Serves: 2 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 2 hours
Prepare ahead instructions: Please have all your ingredients weighed out and ready along with the equipment you’ll need.
Shopping list (serves 2)
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop:
- 1 medium shallot (or half a small onion)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- 4 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 1-2 sprigs thyme
- Handful watercress
- 4 ripe peaches
- 450g Waitrose fresh chunky chips, to serve
- 170g pack British bone marrow (optional)
- 2 x 250g dry aged ribeye steaks (such as Aberdeen Angus ribeye from the meat counter)
- 500ml fresh beef stock (we recommend using the Cooks' Ingredients fresh or UHT stock, and would not recommend using stock cubes)
- 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 45g unsalted butter - divided into 15g (for basting steak) 30g (for roast peaches)
- 100ml whipping cream
- Fine sea salt (for seasoning)
- Sunflower, vegetable or rapeseed oil (for cooking)
- 1 tbsp black or green peppercorns
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 75g amaretti biscuits
- 1½ tbsp plain flour
- 1½ tbsp light brown sugar
For wine tasting:
- Rustenberg John X Merriman Stellenbosch - This blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot was cask-matured for 20 months. Plum and cigar box aromatics prelude a multi-layered palate with elegant tannins.
- No.1 Sauternes, Château Suduiraut Bordeaux - Decadently sweet, yet refined and effortlessly elegant, this has beautiful balancing freshness lifting flavours of apricot, orange and lemon. It's a perfect partner to the roasted peaches, you could even add a splash to the roasting dish before they go into the oven.
- 2 medium bowls (for bone marrow butter and roast peaches)
- Baking tray (for bone marrow, mushrooms and chips- if using)
- Baking dish (for roast peaches - ensure they fit snugly)
- Table knife or small palette knife (removing bone marrow)
- Parchment or cling film (for storing bone marrow butter)
- Oven- preheated to 180˚C fan/200˚C conventional/gas mark 6 before class
- Medium saucepan (for peppercorn sauce)
- Chef's knife
- Chopping board
- 2 wooden spoons or spatulas (for stirring sauce & mixing bone marrow butter)
- Dessert spoons (for tasting sauce and basting steak)
- Medium frying pan (big enough to fit both of the steaks)
- Tongs or fish slice (for flipping steaks)
- 2 serving plates
- 2 serving bowls
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
- Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
- You'll need to be a My John Lewis or my Waitrose member to book a ticket to this event. If you aren't a member, it's easy to join.
- Please note we may record this session for internal purposes.
- Please note terms and conditions apply.