This one hour class is perfect for Sewing Machine newbies, and will give you the confidence to make your first project.
MakeryKate will run through the basic sewing machine functions; showing you how to thread your machine, simple pinning, hemming and troubleshooting. And you will finish the workshop by sewing a cushion cover.
What you will need for the workshop:
- Suitable for all domestic sewing machines
Additional equipment/materials required:
- Bobbin (included with your sewing machine)
- Sewing Scissors
- Tape Measure
- A piece of fabric (preferably light to medium-weight cotton) measuring 43cm x 102cm.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not purchase a Fabric Bundle or Fat Quarters for this project as the pieces won't be large enough. Purchase fabric by the metre.
Level: Beginner - no prior experience needed.
Aimed at people who have recently got a machine and would like to know the basics, or those who would like a refresh on how to get started and make their first project.
Preparation before the workshop:
- You will need to pre-cut the fabric to a rectangle measuring 43cm x 102cm.
- You will need to set your sewing machine up at a table and plug it in.
- Ensure you purchase any relevant products and materials in advance of the event.
- Ensure you have all your equipment, materials and assets ready to go as there is no preparation time in the workshop.
What you will learn in the workshop:
- The basic functions of the sewing machine
- What all the controls can do
- Winding a bobbin
- Pinning and sewing a seam
- Turning curves and corners
What you will make in the workshop:
- The session will include sewing a simple cushion cover.
- You will be able to complete the cushion cover in the session. If you do not finish, you should have the skills to continue making the cushion cover following the session.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Before your Virtual Experience we’ll send you full details on how to join, but if you have any questions please contact email@example.com
Please note this workshop might be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Please see T&Cs for more information.