Learn how to make the Middle Eastern classic: marinated, grilled chicken, halloumi or butternut squash shawarma, served in a fluffy homemade flatbread with tzatziki.
Proper marinating is the secret to deliciously authentic shawarma, and in this class you’ll learn all the tips and tricks for infusing maximum flavour into your chicken (or halloumi or butternut squash, if you’re vegetarian or vegan).
We’ll be making simple homemade flatbread, too, as well as zingy tzatziki and a fresh tomato salad, for the full kebab experience. We’ll be cooking inside, but this recipe is just as easy to recreate on the barbecue.
What to expect:
- Learn the secrets of marinating
- Discover tips for grilling and barbecuing
- Perfect your knife skills
- Learn an easy flatbread recipe you’ll use again and again
Serves: 2 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour 30 minutes
What you’ll need:
Shopping list (serves 2)
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 large tomato
- ½ cucumber
- Handful fresh flat leaf parsley
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets, for a chicken shawarma
- 385g butternut squash slices, for a vegetarian/vegan shawarma
- 250g halloumi, for a vegetarian shawarma
- 270g Greek yogurt, divided into 250g & 20g (or coconut yogurt, for a dairy free alternative)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 2 tbsp baharat spice
- ½ tbsp dried mint
- Pinch sumac
- 165g self-raising flour (can be substituted with plain flour, adding 1 tsp baking powder), plus extra for dusting
- ¾ tsp salt, divided into ¼ tsp and ½ tsp, plus extra for seasoning
- 70g tepid water (this can be combined with the 20g yogurt when preparing for the cook-along)
- 2 chopping boards, 1 for chicken & 1 for vegetables
- Chef’s knife
- Box grater (or a small blender/food processor) for grating onion & cucumber
- 3 small bowls- 1 for making the marinade, 1 for flatbread and 1 for tzatziki
- Baking tray lined with foil, for grilling
- Rolling pin
- Tongs, for flipping flatbreads
- Frying pan, ideally non stick
- Clean tea towel or kitchen cloth, or a sieve for straining cucumber
- 2 large serving plates
- Cling film
- Spoons for mixing and tasting
Don’t forget to prepare ahead by weighing and measuring all of your ingredients, and having your equipment to hand. If you would like to make a veggie or vegan shawarma, please prepare in advance by slicing your butternut squash or halloumi into strips, about ½ cm in thickness.
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.