You'll learn how to whisk up the perfect spiced chocolate sponge, make an indulgent orange curd filling and a dark chocolate orange ganache. You'll also learn how to roll and and decorate your yule log.
- Learn to make a whisked sponge
- Making an orange curd
- Rolling and decorating a yule log
Serves: Makes 1 yule log
Duration: This class will last approximately 2 hours
Prepare ahead: Please have all your ingredients weighed out and ready along with the equipment you’ll need.
Shopping List (makes 1 Yule Log):
Fruit & Veg - Prepare ahead by washing fruit & vegetables, but no need to peel and chop:
- 1 orange
- 30ml lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
- 200ml double cream
- 50g unsalted butter, cubed, room temperature (divided into 25g each)
- 125g mascarpone
- 7 large eggs, (6 eggs separated, 1 left whole)
- 205g caster sugar (divided into 150g & 55g)
- 50g cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1½ tbsp ground cinnamon (divided into 1 tbsp and ½ tbsp)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp ground nutmeg (divided into ½ tsp and ¼ tsp)
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 200g Waitrose no.1 dark chocolate with spiced orange
- 50g white chocolate
- Stand mixer with whisk attachment or electric hand whisk
- Swiss roll tin (25cm x 35cm)
- Medium saucepan
- Medium bowl
- Sharp knife
- Large board
- Zester or fine grater
- Wooden spoon
- Balloon whisk
- Palette knife
- Rubber spatula
- Baking Parchment
About your instructor: You’ll be led through this class with one of our experienced chefs from the Waitrose Cookery School.
Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
Please note: T&C’s apply.