Waitrose Cookery School invites you to join legendary chef Theo Randall on Saturday 18 September at 5pm for a Waitrose Cookery School virtual masterclass. You’ll learn to cook three delicious recipes from his latest cookbook: The Italian Deli Cookbook.
Starter: Buffalo mozzarella with Black Fig and Herb Salad
Main: Trofie with Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans
Theo Randall's love affair with food began thanks to childhood holidays in Italy’s countryside and his cooking is still inspired by regional Italian cuisine today. Theo opened his first multi-award winning restaurant, Theo Randall at The InterContinental, to huge critical acclaim in 2006 and never looked back. In 2016 he launched casual dining concept Theo’s Simple Italian in London. His first venture in Asia, Theo Mio, opened at The Intercontinental Bangkok in 2015, followed by Theo Mistral at The Intercontinental Hong Kong in 2018.
Formerly Head Chef and Partner at The River Café, where he earned its very first Michelin star, major critics described it as 'a place of pilgrimage' which has 'changed Britain's restaurant culture for good.'
Theo’s many television appearances include; Saturday Kitchen, Beat the Chef, Something for the Weekend, Sunday Brunch, Celebrity MasterChef and Lorraine.
Serves: 2 people
Duration: This class will last approximately 1 hour 30 minutes
Prepare ahead: Please have all of your ingredients weighed out and ready, along with the equipment listed. The new potatoes should be peeled, finely sliced and kept in a bowl of cold water up to two hours before the start time. The eggs should be refrigerated then brought out of the fridge 20 minutes before the start time and make some space in the fridge for the tiramisu. You will receive the recipes in your booking confirmation email and will need to prepare the following for the recipes:
Shopping list (starter and main serves 2, tiramisu serves 6):
Fruit and Vegetables - Prepare ahead by washing fruit and vegetables
- 50g wild rocket
- 100g basil leaves (plus 6 leaves)
- 6 mint leaves
- ½ lemon
- 4 ripe black or green figs
- 4 new potatoes, peeled and very finely sliced
- 75g green beans, trimmed
- 1 small garlic clove
- 500g mascarpone
- 2 x 125g buffalo mozzarella balls
- 75g Parmesan
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 125ml cold, strong black coffee
- 50ml sweet Marsala
- 300g savoiardi biscuits
- 50g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 150ml of olive oil, plus 2 tbsp
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g trofie
- 75g pine nuts
- Stand Mixer (or electric hand whisk and mixing bowl) - to whisk egg yolks
- Electric hand whisk or balloon whisk - to whisk egg whites
- 2 mixing bowls - to whisk egg whites and for salad
- Shallow dish - to soak sponge fingers
- Medium sized, deep serving dish - for tiramisu
- Sharp knife and chopping board
- Wooden spoon or silicone spatula
- Microplane or grater - for Parmesan
- Pestle and Mortar - to make pesto
- Measuring spoons
- Large saucepan - to cook vegetables and pasta
- Slotted spoon
- Large plate - for blanched potatoes and green beans
- Non stick frying pan - to finish pasta
- Large serving plate or platter - for fig and mozzarella salad
- Serving bowls - for pasta
- Serving bowls - for tiramisu
- Joining a virtual experience: Our Virtual Experiences will take place via Zoom. We’d recommend using a laptop or desktop if possible to make it easier for you to take part. Two days before your Virtual Experience, we’ll send you full details on how to join.
- Please note we may record this session for internal purposes.
- Please note terms & conditions apply.